Finally going mobile

I don’t travel a lot. This year I was away for 47 days, or 13% of the year. The other 87% of the time I was in Sackville, in my home office or down at the café with wifi and lots of people I know. That’s probably why, in 2011, I have finally purchased my first smart phone, an iPhone 4s. My old phone was coming up for renewal and since I’ve been with the same vendor for over 20 years, I figured I’d probably stick with them, not that service is great, but it’s okay.

I decided to go with Apple’s latest offering for several reasons. The 8MP camera meant I would no longer need a separate camera (so my son is happy with his new hand-me-down Canon). The iPhone is good enough for me, a very amateur photographer. I was also intrigued with Siri and wanted to understand it and see what it might mean for workplace learning. Also, it looks like I’ll be travelling more in 2012, so buying equipment before year end just made business sense.

Basically, I’m a newbie with smart phones. This is a good thing, as I’ll have a better understanding of what challenges are presented to other workers as they have to adopt these technologies. I’ll try to narrate my learning as I figure out this mobile stuff, which my colleague Clark is so adept at.

I realize that mobile is a critical part of the future of workplace learning. I intend to do some serious learning this year. I also bought my son an iPhone 3GS and it’s amazing to see how quickly he has added it into his life. It’s time for me to keep up.

Select Your Comment Platform

6 Responses to “Finally going mobile”

  1. Paul Hobcraft

    Looking forward to your narration on the smart phone. Be more than interested in the rise in your costs against the real value of being on line constantly compared to other methods

  2. Mark Britz

    I await your insights not only in terms of smartphones and the iphone 4s (which is on my list as I too am curious of the AI (Siri) uses in the workflow) but also how its long-term use compares to your other methods of network/knowledge.

  3. Eric Matas

    I hope you love it. I got the iPhone 4 last summer: it’s beautiful. And useful. I like it really near by. :-)

    ps – Nice to meet you at DevLearn, however briefly.

  4. Jon Husband

    I am just about to make the same journey.

    I have resisted using mobile phones / devices for a long time now, but the potential for learning and adapting it to one’s interests and needs is too great for me to continue to only observe. Mobile devices are a key component of the future of networked people, activity and learning.

  5. Joe Parkinson

    I got a smart phone this past November.

    To put this context, I was a card carrying luddite, and part of me wishes I could have remained one. I did not own cell, although I had a Blackberry from work (with limited functionality). My computer was from 2002. I did not have WiFi.

    I came to the realization last fall, that if I did not embrace new communication and networking technology I would get left behind.

    My initial thought was to get the Apple IPhone 4S. I also wanted to get a new laptop but I did not want to pay the price they are asking for Macs when I can get something else for 1/3 the cost. I though about an IPad but I don’t like the typing feel, the storage capacity is limited, in the end it wouldn’t meet my needs like a laptop.

    I then though about a Playbook as the were on sale $300 off but it has the same limitations as the IPad. I also didn’t want a Blackberry due a bad association from work.

    Then I though about a phone using Android. I got a Samsung Galaxy S II LTE. Thinking about it, Apple makes hardware and operating systems. RIM makes hardware and operating systems. Android is an operating system built by a company that works / builds / operates in the cloud which is where I see a lot of growth and innovation taking place.

    This doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with the other choices out there. They all have there good features. I bought my wife a Playbook on sale Boxing Day and she loves it. When I get my next phone, in three years at the end of the current phone’s contract (which will become the standard life cycle period) I may get something different.

    You can do so must much with a smart phone (regardless of make and OS) it is quite amazing. I often learn more than one new thing a day. It is a bit of adventure exploring all of its capabilities. I wonder if I will ever master the “phone” but it is certainly fun trying.

    I now have a Facebook account and a Twitter account, as well as having “signed up” for a variety of other things. I now have WiFi and a new laptop. The 21st century has been quite welcoming.

Leave a Reply

  • (will not be published)

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Spam Protection by WP-SpamShield